One of the great pleasures of studying history is the joy of looking back on the events of the past while comfortably armed with the benefit of hindsight. Incidents from history make fascinating reading as standalone tales of intrigue, like stories from a book with a clear beginning, middle and end. However our fascination with the past is doubled when we discover that two seemingly disparate historical events actually happened at the same time.
Maybe there were two important inventions you had assumed were centuries apart in the making, two concepts that seem entirely at odds with one another co-existing. Maybe two famous people lived next door, or met by weird coincidence on the street. These patterns and peculiarities are more common than you might think, and if you believe that human destiny is guided, and not accidental, then these links in the ongoing chain of cause and effect, stretching back through the centuries, seem to hint at the fundamental interconnectedness of all things. With that in mind, we’ve compiled a list of significant historical events that you will be amazed to learn happened at in tandem.
1. In the same year that the first wagon passed over the Oregon Trail, the fax machine was invented (1843)
2. While the Ancient Egyptians were building the Great Pyramids, Mammoths still walked the Earth. (2660 BCE)
3. The same year that the Titanic sank, ecstasy was first synthesised (1912)
4. The first McDonald’s restaurant opened just five days before the first prisoners arrived at Auschwitz (1940)
5. Jack the Ripper was still at large when Nintendo was founded (1889)
The post 11 Historical Events That No One Realizes Happened At The Same Time appeared first on Viral Thread.