A radicalised Muslim on a terror watchlist opened fire on three police officers at a road check before attacking a soldier at a Paris airport.
The gunman launched his first attack after being stopped at a road check north of the city early this morning, shooting a policewoman in the head, before fleeing in a stolen car.
He then drove to Orly airport where he wrestled a gun from a counter-terrorism soldier before running into a McDonald’s restaurant, where he was shot dead by security forces.
Around 3,000 people were evacuated from the airport and flights were diverted while swat teams and the bomb squad cleared the area.
A police source said the man was “a radicalised Muslim known to intelligence services and the justice system”.
Police warned the public to stay away while the bomb squad searched the terminal to check the man had not planted any explosive devices.
Flights have been suspended at both terminals and some incoming flights are being diverted to Charles de Gaulle Airport.
The policewoman was said to have been “lightly injured” by the shotgun attack and a spokesman for the Interior Minister said there had been no reports of any other injuries.
Franck Lecam, who was at the airport when the attacker struck at 8.30am local time, said: “We had queued up to check in for the Tel Aviv flight when we heard three or four shots nearby.”
He added: “There are policemen, emergency workers and soldiers everywhere in all directions. A security official told us that it happened near gates 37-38 where Turkish Airlines flights were scheduled.”
It comes as the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are on the second day of their visit to Paris, where they will today meet survivors of the terror attack at the Bataclan in 2015.
They are also expected to watch this afternoon’s Six Nations rugby match at the Stade de France, where thousands of rugby fans will be gathering.
French authorities have said the incidents would have no impact on the Royal visit.
#Orly #airport Air traffic suspended for Orly South & West terminal. Do not come to the airport. Ongoing Police operation #en
— Paris Aéroport (@ParisAeroport) March 18, 2017
Paris Aeroport tweeted: “On going special operations by the Police. Please follow their instructions (safety area).”
France, which is just weeks away from a presidential election, remains under a state of emergency following a series of deadly attacks by Islamic militants over the last two years, including the November 2015 attack in Paris when 130 people were killed the the truck attack in Nice last year.
There was a similar incident at the Louvre Museum last month in which an Egyptian man attacked soldiers guarding the site.
The soldier at the airport was part of Operation Sentinelle – the deployment of armed military on the French streets in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo terror attack in Paris.
There are 7,500 soldiers in the Sentinelle force, half of whom are deployed in Paris – the remainder in the regions.